The government’s $200m Tourism Communities: Support, Recovery and Re-set Plan targets 5 communities and the national tourism system. It will provide immediate support for those communities and encourage the tourism sector’s transformation in the long-term.
Tourism Communities: Support. Recovery.
Business Advisory Support, Advice Implementation Grant, and Tourism Kick-start Fund
Applications are now open for the Business Advisory Support and Advice Implementation Grant of the Tourism Communities: Support, Recovery and Re-set Plan. The initiatives target businesses from the five communities most affected by the loss of international tourism: Westland District, Queenstown Lakes District, Southland District, Kaikōura District, and Mackenzie District.
The two initiatives are:
- $10 million for Business Advisory Support (up to $5,000 per business) to enable businesses to receive expert advice and support, such as whether to change their business to target a different market, down-scale their tourism business, or exit the market.
- $10 million in grants for businesses to implement the advice received through the Business Advisory Support fund, or satisfactory alternative provider (up to $5,000 per business).
A business must:
- Be physically based within at least one of the five communities: Queenstown Lakes District, Southland District, Kaikōura District, Mackenzie District, or Westland District.
- Be a GST registered business, or GST registered prior to COVID-19.
- Be a tourism business, which is defined as a business where at least 50 per cent of its operational output is purchased by tourists (domestic or international), for example: Accommodation, Arts and Recreational Services, Food Services, Transport Services or Retail Trade. This can include service businesses whose output is purchased by tourism businesses.
Alongside the Business Advisory Support initiative and Advice Implementation Grant, the Government is making wider support available through the Tourism Kick-start Fund ($49 million) to help tourism businesses in the 5 South Island districts prepare for the return of international visitors. We expect to have more details about this fund once we are closer to reconnecting borders.
Register your interest
Development West Coast is the Lead Entity for Westland District. The Lead Entity role is to ensure a business receives the support needed for its individual and unique circumstances. Businesses will be able to have a conversation with Lead Entity Growth Advisors about what support is right for them across the initiatives.
You can register your interest in the initiatives by contacting the Lead Entity responsible for your district:
Development West Coast: firstname.lastname@example.org